Friday, January 25, 2008

Another New-ish Start (Sorry no pictures)

Yesterday I received news at my job that they are going to hire a full-time cashier. This job was offered to me a few weeks ago, but I declined because it meant quitting school to have open availability. Because I could not accept the position, my hours were going to be cut to 10 hours a week and as many of you know, a newly married girl can't get by on that pay cut. So I went to Horkley's (my old job, it's a video rental store combined with a gas station) to grab a Mountain Dew and they had posted a Help Wanted sign. I knew the pay was really low, as are all of the jobs in Rexburg because college students will work for minimum wage. I asked the manager if I were to reapply how many hours she could give me. She said 25 to 30 hours. I hadn't feel the weight lift off of my shoulders that way in quite some time. For all you math whizzes out there, I decided to take the $1 pay cut and get twice the hours. It was really sad taking my resignation into Big 5 this morning, but the manager said she would mark my final papers and rehire-able and I could come to them if I need some extra hours this summer. I never had real jobs in high school, and while this is retail, I learned a very important lesson today. A lesson of leaving my job dignified and respected and I know that I can get great recommendation from any of those managers. Also, I learned that going to school is hard, but I don't want to be writing this same story ten years from now. I can't wait to have my RN and for Jack to finish school as well. It's hard right now, but I still feel like we're really blessed.

3 comments:

Connie said...

It IS hard but so very worth it.
As long as you have an honest work ethic you can accomplish anything and you are off to a great start!!!

campbell said...

I am so proud of you. You go girl! You look back at this in 10 years and go wow look what I accomplished. Hang in there!

Valencia said...

You're learning some of the most valuable lessons of your life right now and I am so very proud of you, Erika. Yes, you hang in there and you'll do so well in the years to come. Keep your eyes and your heart on your goal -- you'll attain it quicker than you think. I love you and hope you and Jack have a great weekend.