Saturday, September 17, 2011

Leighton's Potty Story - September 2011

This week we took on the task of beginning potty training...and we did it with full force! From everyone I've talked to, the most successful stories come from locking yourselves in the house for 3 days and following Lora Jensen's method...so that has been our week! We let her pick out big girl undies and treats and stayed inside for days! And this is the most difficult thing I've ever done. Leighton is one smart cookie, but I'm just not as patient as I wish I was sometimes. I did want to journal her story though because this is a large accomplishment for our little girl and while it's not perfected and will be a work in progress for a while, the goal was to be out of diapers before March...and we're doing way better than I anticipated!!

Day 1 - A whopping 17 accidents...only 3 or 4 real successes. .Hardest.Day.Ever. --- I started to feel really discouraged and thought repeatedly about throwing her diaper back on and calling it quits. Then I started really pulling out the Skittles because if there's something Leighton inherited from me, it's a sweet tooth. And she almost never gets candy, so it caught her attention really well.

Day 2 - Only 7 accidents...and 8 successes. Now a few other people who tried this method complained that their first day was a 7 accident day and the worst day of their life. I rejoiced at 7 accidents! And one thing I learned on Day 2 is if the question is "Leighton, do you need to potty?" the answer will always be "NO!" So instead it became "Leighton, when you need to pee...run to the potty!" And that's what she does!

Day 3 - Only 4 accidents and numerous successes! And get this...all accidents were on the way or inside the bathroom! I was really impressed and excited that I was not asking Leighton...she was running to the potty on her own. She's growing up so fast!

Day 4 - Another 4 accident day and Leighton will not stay on the potty long enough to go #2. But if I get her there in time, she no longer acts scared and loved when she learned that "Big girl potties" get a her a wafer cookie.

Day 5 - Almost an accident free day, so Jack gets off work and takes us to our beloved Olive Garden. We have a lot to celebrate lately and I was not feeling sick (for ONCE!), so I didn't argue!! At Olive Garden, we make 4 trips to the bathroom and 2 of those are a success. Our little smartie learned that saying "potty" means to get to walk around the restaurant! But I'll take that over changing her pants...so it was our first accident free outing! YAY! Leighton charmed the waitresses and even gave some people from our ward a BIG laugh when she clapped for Mom going potty and said that I'm a big girl on the potty! Yep, that's my girl!

Day 6 - We're currently on Day 6. Our biggest struggles are making it to potty before #2 and peeing every time instead of just wanting a treat. Our biggest success is NO accidents today! I think it will still be a while before we're 100% and completely night trained, but we've had as many hits as misses at night and she is catching on really well!

We're so proud of you, Leighton!! Thanks for being so smart and wonderful! And one day when you see that I'm one of the dorky Mom's that blogged your potty story, reread 'Day 1!' Hahaha!

No comments: